Thursday, August 23, 2012

My Supporter Letter for Belfast

Dear Friends and Family,

It’s hard to believe that the summer is almost over. As the seasons past by, I am continually struck by God’s faithfulness for each one of us. Here’s an update on what God has been doing during the last few seasons of my life:



In May, I graduated from the University of St. Thomas with a double major in elementary education and Catholic Studies. I student taught in an inner-city Catholic School in South Minneapolis. I also served as a student missionary and a leader of a Catholic women’s household with a college ministry called St. Paul’s Outreach. It was a very busy year of school especially following a year off from school doing service work in Detroit, Michigan. During my year with Youth Works-Detroit, I led a high school girls youth group, taught an after school program for children in our neighborhood mostly from the housing projects, put on retreats, served at a soup kitchen, helped families in the community, and loved the people around me. Through these experiences, I learned that I thrive and love working with inner-city youth. I have grown so much these past two years in my ability to love others through Christ’s love.




Recently, I learned about a program in Belfast, Northern Ireland called Youth Initiatives which serves inner city youth primarily in West Belfast. After applying, I was accepted as a volunteer youth worker to work with their 15-18 year olds primarily in two programs called Lifeline and Girls Program. Essentially these programs are about personal, social, and spiritual development in the context of creating a positive relational environment for the youth. As a youth worker, I will be journeying alongside these youth through the ups and downs of their life. I will help run programs while spending time with them in their everyday lives. Too many youth in the city are down trodden and have lost hope. Ultimately it is the Lord’s work to awaken hope in the lives of these youth, but God uses us to be a part of this work in transforming lives of these youth. I have been fortunate enough to see radical transformation of the inner city youth I have worked with from being closed off and harden to being joyful and friendly through loving them, being a constant support, and teaching them about Jesus. I’m excited God has called me to do this work in Belfast too!

While doing ministry, I have come to learn that I can’t do it alone, but only through the support of family, friends, and even acquaintances. I ask that you would consider be a part of this work by supporting me through your encouragement, prayers, and finances. Prayer is so essential to doing inner city work, so I ask that you would commit to praying for me and the youth I work with on a regular basis. I will also be praying for you while keeping a correspondence between your family and myself about various prayer needs. Please consider supporting me financially as I will need $12,000 for the year to support my living costs, travel needs, training, etc. I am particularly looking for people who will support me on a monthly basis at $20, $30, $50 or whatever amount you prefer, but I am very grateful for one time gifts of a flat amount as well. Tax deductible donations can be made online or by writing checks out to the Sword of the Spirit with Sarah Nilles in the memo line. You can e-mail me at sarah.nilles@gmail.com to receive a reply card with more information about how to do this. Or you can follow the directions below to give online or send a check to the Sword of the Spirit.

I cannot begin to thank you for the ways you have already supported me throughout the years. I am so blessed to serve as the hands and feet of God in places of need, but I am incredibly grateful for people back home covering me with support through prayers and financial gifts. Please know of my thoughts and prayers for you. I look forward to talking to you more in the near future about my work in Belfast.

Christ Peace, Sarah

All donations are tax deductible.

Give online at:
http://sos-nar.com/eGive.htm

Make checks payable to
Sword of the Spirit (Sarah Nilles) in memo
and return to:
P.O. Box 4978, East Lansing, Mi, 48826

No comments:

Post a Comment