Monday, August 6, 2012

God Cares... a LOT!

I am continually struck and blown away by God's faithfulness. People always comment on how crazy I am for all the things I do. I just want to respond by saying that I have an even crazier Papa. He sent His son to die on the cross for me and each and every day His Grace and Spirit are enough! God really cares, and it makes everything worth it. This past weekend, I traveled to Minnesota to visit friends and say "good bye" for the last time before moving to Belfast. A couple of weeks ago I was overwhelmed by the short visit and all the people I wanted to see. My wiser friend, Kelsey told me, "Sarah, I can't wait until the end of the trip when you talk about how much God blessed you just like He always does on these short visits." I knew she was right, but I had no idea how right she was. My trip to Minnesota was so much more than visiting friends and saying goodbyes. The Lord spoke directly into areas of my life I had been afraid of, questions I had about Belfast, and lose ends in relationships that had been hanging for years. Even better, He provided in the little ways. I was standing for 20 minutes having an incredible conversation that I wasn't sure was going to happen with my brother Joe Hall who has been battling cancer for over a year. As I was looking at the tint of pink in Joe's cheeks (during other visits he has been deathly pale) and the foot long scar on his stomach, I was struck that we had this moment together when he was joyful and not puking his guts out. For 20 minutes, we shared life, joked, and talked about the future. And I needed that. I needed Joe back as my brother and to have his encouragement before leaving for Belfast. The Lord did that over and over again during my time in Minnesota. He perfectly set up situations and conversations to show me how loved I was, and how much I can trust in Him. He made it strikingly clear that I have a family that will meet once a year in Minnesota for training with St. Paul's Outreach and we are scattered all over the world. We came together in college to form a community led by the Spirit of God, and just as the Spirit drew us together, now He sends us out. Many of my friends are still working for SPO, but I get to go off on another adventure in Belfast working for Youth Initiatives. A cross cultural missionary once told me that good "goodbyes" make for good "hellos." Through the grace of God, I'm anticipating a really good "hello" with Belfast. The Lord has a big work for me in Belfast, and I believe it extends well beyond the walls of YI. Even though the unknown makes me a little nervous, I am not afraid because over and over again, God shows me that He cares a lot. "My grace is sufficient for you..." 2 Corinthians 12.9

No comments:

Post a Comment