Sunday, September 13, 2015

"I liked your talk..."

This weekend at spoke at Holy Family Parish where I grew up attending Mass and church functions with my family. I only had 5 or so minutes to share about the work I was doing in Belfast, Northern Ireland with Youth Initiatives and to invite people to join my support team.  There are so many stories of my work and of the history of Belfast that I could have shared that I barely new where to begin.

I knew I needed a hook- something they would remember more than just "Sarah's continuing to do mission work." When I got up to speak, I asked my dad to walk in with a mirror covered with smeared dry soap.  I began my talk with "sometimes it's hard to see ourselves clearly..." I shared about situations in my life and the lives of young people that I work with making it hard to see themselves clearly- never feeling good enough, sin, lack of education, never being told I love you just to name a few.  I continued sharing that I too haven't always been able to see myself clearly, but through attending this parish and encountering God's light, love, and truth I began to see who God truly created me to be- His Beloved.

I continued to share for a couple of minute about the missionary work I do with middle and high school youth who can't see themselves clearly through our school, parish, and youth programmes sharing a story about a girl named Katie who I have journeyed alongside this past year speaking the light and love of Christ into her life.  In all the mission work I've done, I can't do it alone.  I need the prayers, support, and encouragement of so many.  I'm so blessed to have grown up in a parish that has supported my missions work so generously and faithfully.  I ended my sharing asking people to continue to support financially either through one time donation or on a monthly basis.

After Mass, I stood in the back handing out support forms and shaking hands of encouraging parishioners.  My favourite person that I talked to today was a little girl named Norah.  Doughnut in hand, she stopped by me and said "I liked your talk."  She was 10 years old, and I was intrigued by what she liked about it so I asked her "what did you like about my talk?" as we sat down so she could eat her doughnut.  "I liked the mirror part.  How your sins are still there even when you can't see them."  I was shocked by how much she picked up from what I wasn't saying as much as she was about what I was saying.  Afraid that she might think that are sins stick with us forever I asked her what she thought it meant when the mirror was being wiped off.  "It's like when Jesus takes your sins away."

Exactly!  We can't see ourselves clearly until Jesus takes our sins away.  Then we can see ourselves perfectly as Christ as created us to be.  To see ourselves clearly as He sees us clearly.

I was amazed and in awe of this little girl, and how deep her understanding of faith was.  It reminded me of how we are called to have faith as a child.  I was honored to be able to sit down with her as I met her two younger brothers Finn and Sullivan and her Mom and Dad.  I was able to share briefly about Ireland and they were able to ask questions.  I asked Norah to pray for me after giving her one of my prayer book marks, and I know she will.

I thank God for children like Norah.  I pray that their family decides to support me this year.  I need faithful people like Norah and her family who pray with childlike faith completely dependent on God.  I'm excited to continue coming back each year and build on this relationship with their family.  This is what it means to have a support team back home in Iowa.  People who will keep me accountable and support me- yes with their finances but also with their prayers, love, and encouragement.

To see more about the missionary work I am doing in Belfast or to see how you can become a supporter- check out this website!

No comments:

Post a Comment