Friday, April 10, 2015

Spring Reconstruct

Springing cleaning. I hate doing it, but I know it often needs to be done.  You look at your house (or life) throw open the windows, pull out the boxes, clear out the piles in order to clean and restructure.  I’ve been doing this in my own life as well.  After living in Belfast for three years, I’ve decided (with the help of others) that it’s time to throw open my life and restructure a few things.

Originally, I thought I would stay here for a year or two, but God keeps make it clear that He has more for me here.  Coming to the end of Year 3, I’ve started reflecting on how this isn’t a short-term missionary stint but actually I need to start viewing my life here as a long-term missionary.  God has provided abundantly for me here, but it’s time to start looking a bit more at my future and sustainability rather than just living year by year especially financially.

This spring, I am taking a chunk of time to restructure my life to make it more sustainable for long term missionary work, so I’m not sent home in a little “burned-out/ I hate people” box.  I don’t necessarily want to do this, but I know that I have to if I want to continue doing missionary work in which I truly believe God has called me to. 

So what does this look like?

1)   Taking more time for prayer and reflection in my life and work.  “Unless the Lord builds the house, I build in vain.”- Psalm 127.1  Everything I do has to be done for and through God or else I am working in vain- what’s the point then?  I need space to think, pray, breath, and be.  I am a human BEing rather than a Human Doing.

2)   Fundraising for a more sustainable income.  I work 40+ hours a week and make less than 20.  Through a grant from the States, The Koch Foundation, I get paid 12 hours from YI and a bit more from my personal support raising – PSR.  I’ve been making enough to get by, but it’s not sustainable for the long run.  I am working with my mentor on putting together a more realistic budget and salary allowance. It’s my goal to be able to pay more for my rent, save for the future, shop (sometimes even if it’s from thrift stores :0), live a life of hospitality, and work towards bigger purchases like #3.  God has provided generously (don’t even have words for it sometimes) for me in the past, and I trust that He will continue doing that in the future.

3)   Work towards getting a CAR! This is huge for me.  A portion of my fundraising will be going towards getting a car, paying for insurance, MOT, tax, and petrol.  It’s expensive, but something I believe it’s time for.  It will help me get around easier as well as bless the ministry work I do.  I will be able to meet up with people easier, pick up young people from school, offer lifts, and save loads of time getting from place to place.

4)   This spring/ summer, I will also be working towards getting my British drivers licenses.  This is something I have been putting off for the last couple of years.  It is intimidating, and I hated how different the system is from back home.  Moving towards a more sustainable and long term missionary lifestyle requires me swallowing my pride and taking a plunge for my licenses. Aka- starting from the beginning again.  Ultimately it will lead to greater freedom and mobility.

5)   Exercise… yeah… I’ve been talking about this for years.  I hate working out but love working hard.  It’s the small town girl in me.  The reality is I don’t live on a farm or go hiking every day.  My life is fast paced and can be stressful which isn’t always good for my health.  I’ve felt the impact of that this year through being sick a lot.  I need to start exercising in order to survive, thrive and ultimately be healthier.

6)   Accountability- it’s easy for me to say that I want to do all these things in my journal, but it’s another thing to be held accountable for these areas in my life.  This is part of why I am blogging about it- I want to be held accountable and live in the light. I also have key people who supervise and care for me in Belfast who I am allowing to speak particularly into these areas of my life.  They aren’t going to be cracking the whip ticking off how much I’ve down.  Rather they are going to lovingly help me more towards my goals of living a sustainable long-term missionary lifestyle. 

I have been supported by so many people over the years as I have travelled the world doing various kinds of missionary work.  I cannot thank you enough for your support, prayers, and love.  Please don’t stop now!  I still need your help especially now as I transition into a new phase of my missionary life. 

So what can you do?
1)   Pray for me!  I can’t make these transitions without the grace of God.
2)   Pray for the work I do and the young people I minister to.   
3)   Send me a note or email (sarah.nilles@gmail.com) to encourage me and ask how I’m doing.  Help me be supported and held accountable through your love and care.
4)   Support me financially either as a one off (maybe towards a car :) or on a monthly basis.  My regular supporters are incredible and I don’t know what I would do without them.  Come join my team in the missionary work I do.  – Check out this link to learn how or send me an email-
5)   Share my story and the work I do with others.  Maybe God is calling them to get behind the work I’m doing and support me too.  We will never know unless we ask.  
6)   Be creative!  What other ways can you support me?  I look forward to hearing your ideas. 


That’s it.  That’s my spring restructure.  As much as I don’t want to do it, I know that it’s time and actually I’m more ready for it than I think.  God’s grace is enough, and He has good things for me.  Here’s to spring cleaning and allowing God to restructure my life towards a more sustainable missionary life style.  Let the cleaning begin! 


No comments:

Post a Comment