Monday, February 3, 2014

My Messy Room

My room is a complete disaster and at 11:30 at night I decided to wash the massive pile of dishes littering the kitchen.  In less than 60 hours, my plane leaves from Belfast International airport back to the States for a two and a half week visit, and I have no idea how I am supposed to fit 100 plus hours into 60.

That's why I decided to do the dishes tonight. I couldn't bare going into the mess tomorrow morning while silently trying to rush around clashing pots and pans while washing dishes waking my sick roommate at an unreasonable hour. Mostly though, I knew that I would busy myself first thing in the morning rather than taking a prayer time.  "Unless The Lord builds the house, they labor in vain..." Psalm 127.1. I know that if I don't put first things first everything will crumble apart.  In these next 60 hours I can rush around trying to make everything work or I could slow down, take time with the King of kings and Lord of lords and allow HIM to direct my day.  He knows how many hours are in a day and He will provide for exactly what I need.  A friend once told me to stop worrying because God would allow enough time for exactly what He knows I need to do if only I trust Him.  You are God. I am not. I trust in You.  Such a simple prayer, but how often to do forget it?

So my bedroom floor may be covered in piles of clothes, work, math tutoring, tissues, and things to bring home, but at least I know where everything is.  It's organized chaos with everything being in a "neighborhood." There isn't much space in my 6ft by 9ft bedroom, but I make do. My bag never really got unpacked from two weekends ago for when I went away this past weekend.  I have no idea when I will pack for America or really what I'm going to bring.  I'm flat out with work between now and 10:30 on Wednesday night but again I know it's all going to work out.  There is constantly little things that need to be done, but it all doesn't need to be done today.

Sometimes, we just need to learn how to live in the chaos of our lives and see the beauty within it. Jesus loves being with us in the messiness, and he doesn't expect us to be perfect. Rather he desires for us to be his. Perfectly and completely His. I pray that tomorrow the first thing I do when I wake up is surrender my day to him remember that he will provide the time for the things HE has in store for me rather than the endless to do list I expect of myself. Maybe I'll even see my bedroom floor before I leave... Just to make sure it's still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment