Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Home Away From Home

I am starting to settle into my life here in Belfast. The past week has been a whirlwind or as they would say here "mental." Despite the craziness of everything, I feel really at home with the family I am staying with. They are a young couple just a few years older than me who just had their first baby 5 weeks ago. Sheena is from the States, and Matthew grew up in Belfast. Everyone LOVES them, so I am quite grateful that I get to live with them. It's helpful that they have both lived in the States because they help make the transition a little smoother because they have both been through it as well.

I always find when I move to a new place that the things I worried about haven't been a problem, but there are LOADS of things that are challenging that I had no idea about. Everyone speaks really fast and uses so many words that are different than American English. Within the house the light switches, electric plugs, and showers are different too. When I move to new places, I talk about being in "survival" mode until it becomes second nature. Fortunately, I am starting to figure out the bus and taxi system which has been helpful. I have also met lots of people within a Christian community called Charis here as well as getting to know some people I will be working with.

Below are some pictures of the house and neighborhood that I live in. Things are much smaller than here than they are in the States (cars, refrigerators, houses, milk cartons, etc.) The food has been incredible and full of abundance... especially wine which I eat at most dinners followed by tea. They truly eat lots of potatoes, but I will write more about food another time. Enjoy the view of my house on Erinvale Gardens.










When you wake into the house, there is a staircase to the upstairs bedrooms and a little front room. Then you walk through another door (we keep it closed because of the dog) and there is the living room and kitchen which are connected.





I was so worried about having a "blah" room, but it is so bright and beautiful. It's my little joy place. Thanks to my friend, Anna, for the HOPE painting which is on the directly across my bed.



The backyard!



Baby Caleb- the greatest cuddler in the world. He has been so wonderful to have around especially when I feel home sick.



The view walking down Finaghy Road towards the bus stop. Belfast is in a valley so there are mountains all around. So beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment