Friday, January 14, 2011

Testimony as a Detroit Gappper

I was recently asked to write my testimony as a woman gapper in Detroit for a newsletter. This is my story (at least some of it):

In January of 2010, I clearly remember my pastoral leader asking me if I had considered serving with Detroit Summer Outreach. She was shocked that no one had ever talked to me about doing it since the Lord was doing a lot in my heart in the areas of serving, poverty, inter-city work, ecumenism, and community – everything encompassing the work in Detroit. After dragging my feet for a bit, I applied and was accepted into the summer program. I never would have imagined that saying "yes" to one invitation by the Lord would open the door to a life changing invitation that I received through an e-mail a week after being accepted into DSO. Josh Rock asked me to prayerfully consider doing a Standing in the Gap year in Detroit that following year. I e-mailed Josh back saying that it was crazy to think about leaving school when I had one year left, leaving Saint Paul's Outreach which I was actively involved in, to fundraise for a year of service when I had school loans, to move to a city that I knew nothing about, and to approach my parents back in Iowa about doing a program that I barely knew anything about. In my e-mail I said, "Doing a Gap year is crazy, but at the same time it makes a lot of sense to me because my heart desires most of the things that you are doing in Detroit." After prayer and many long conversations, I said "yes" to the invitation to come and see the Lord's work in Detroit.

That is what my Gap year is about. Opening my eyes to the wonder of God's work here in Detroit and stripping me down to my essential being as a daughter of God. Everything in Detroit is raw and real, and I experience that everyday. Detroit is bruised, broken, oppressed, and impoverished, yet it is so close to God's heart. I came into my year of service with a whole bunch of ideas about leading the youth group, our after-school program, and working with the poor. The Lord quickly taught me that this is His work and all outside ideas, game plans, and prides need to be left at the door. I lead the high school girls’ youth group which has tripled in size this year from one girl to three. I tried to do the "normal" youth group thing by leading worship, having Bible studies, giving talks, and doing girly things, but it didn't work. Finally, I surrendered, gave up all my preconceived notions, and allowed God to lead. It was messy, unconventional, and it didn't look like we were doing much – especially not much dealing with Christianity. Fortunately, Jesus leads our youth group. Last week, two of the younger girls were led to Christ, and I can't wait to see what God is going to do next week!

Being the only woman Gapper in Detroit has its challenges, but so does being a Christian. I have never felt so blessed in my entire life as I have here in Detroit. I get to walk on holy ground every single day. God's presence here is consuming. You can see Christ's love for His people. I can't explain it, but I experience it. I experience it at the Capuchin soup kitchen when I give Andre, a former gang leader, drug addict, and ex-con, a hug every Friday morning. I experience it while holding Esther's hands looking her in the eyes telling her of God's love even though she believes that her heart is too cold to be loved. I experience it sitting in the Wilson's living room shooting the breeze and sharing life. I experience it as a child from our after-school program, Bezalel Project, runs towards me for a hug, or while driving through the projects picking up or dropping off kids. I experience it through our tight-knit community here in Detroit that functions like a family. I experience God's love for His beloved children here in Detroit, and it's a privilege to have so many opportunities to love those in need of Him.

This Christmas, I received an ornament that says "Hope Shines Bright." A year ago, I would have never imagined that one simple invitation would change my life. The Lord invited me into the midst of His work, and I am truly privileged to say that "the hope of Christ truly shines bright in the city of Detroit."

2 comments: