Sunday, September 16, 2012

Outside in Ireland

Residentials: I think they are going to become my favorite weekend activity while in N. Ireland. You go on a retreat with a bunch of people some where out in the country where everything is green, hilly, and beautiful. Usually there is a little cottage you stay in with a fire place and mountains in the background. It's truly living straight out of a dream.

This past week, I went to Downpatrick. It is said that St. Patrick is buried there (but another place claims that as well, but most people accept that he's in Downpatrick), so it is a place of pilgrimage. I was there for a University Christian Outreach (UCO) retreat. I was involved with UCO while I was in Michigan, so I am grateful for the opportunity to be involved with young adults here in Ireland who want to built Christian environments to reach other students and disciple them. It was an incredible weekend to get to know each other and set a vision for the year.

One of my favorite parts of the weekend was Saturday afternoon when a small group of us ventured up a little trail to the top of one of the mountains (or it could be called a large hill). It was so beautiful and incredible. Words can't describe the beauty of Ireland or how the hills just continue rolling in different shades of green or the how the sheep speckle the land or how majestic the mountains look when the clouds dance along the tops of them. It isn't the same as a breath taking view of a large mountain or a spectacular waterfall. Rather it's this continual beauty and fingerprint of God all around you. It's these moments that brighten my heart and when I stand in awe saying "I'm outside in Ireland right now. This isn't a dream, but I am really here in this incredibly beautiful place."

While in a field dodging piles of cow dung, we enjoyed the view, played frisbee, and scoped the scenery around us using binoculars. It was a great time to just be and have fun with one another. I am so blessed to be in a beautiful country and even more blessed by the community around me. I know these pictures don't do it just, but I thought you might enjoy a glimpse from my weekend view outside in Ireland.













No comments:

Post a Comment