Friday, November 22, 2013

What's the Craic with Me?

What's The Criac with Me?

It's mid November. The trees are nearly bare and the wind whips through them.  It's hard to believe I have been back for three months since my visit to the States.  Three months, it seems like ages ago and yesterday all at the same time.

So what have I been up to?  What's new with me? Or in Belfast slang- "what's the Craic?"

Being back in Belfast is so good.  It's as if I never left or if i have been here for ages.  I expected the year to be a year of growth and building since the foundation of knowing people and the culture has already been laid down.  "Maybe things will be easier this year," I thought to myself. And even in many respects they are, there have also been a lot of changes and things to adjust to.

First off, I have a new job and I am "officially" employed by Youth Initiatives. Well sort off... So Debbie the Faith Development Coordinator and employee of YI forth past 17 years took another job in October.  She was my supervisor and i was the other faith development worker in West Belfast.  Myself and another girl named Laura applied for the job and got it as a job share (splitting the work between the two of us)  It was my first ever professional interview and it was with a panel. So I am now leading with Laura the faith development program in West Belfast as a collaboration between YI, St. Colms high school, and the three parishes in higher area.

Realistically, I have been doing many parts of this job over the past few months, but now Laura and I are in charge rather than Debbie.  It's quite a change and adjustment, but it's also exciting.  Since there wasn't very much money for the post to begin with, it's split, and I'm foreigner, I'll get small living allowance rather than a full salary. This will cover part of my budget that I haven't fundraised yet for and other incidentals that might come up.   It's nice to get a bit more money, and to have a larger role within YI faith development. It's scary and challenging, but it's also incredible and a huge blessing.

Besides changes in responsibilities within faith development, In YI I have been planning a gardening horticulture therapy project for our girls program- Glow, interviewing girls for our summer mission trip to Romania, teaching in the schools, meeting one on one with girls, and general "stuff" that chills my work (sometimes beyond) life. It's a lot of things to juggle, but I love it.  Mostly "for such a time as this" God has called me to this life and work in Belfast.  I know that this is exactly where God wants me to be and I am satisfied with that.

So do I have a life outside of work and YI?  No, but I try to...  I love living with Siobhan, and it's been a lot of fun but mostly life giving.  We have been cooking together a bit, watching movies, and talking about the Hunger Games.  I'm just starting to get into the books and I love them.  For the first time in ages, I'm actually reading books and finishing them.  Of course, Laura comes to hangout at the house, and I often end up the butt of jokes.  The joys of being American!  I also have started knitting.  I'm trying to get into hobbies, be productive, and do "restful" activities. I have a goal of knitting a few scarves for Christmas and making a few other gifts.  We'll see if it actually happens.

One of my favorite things about autumn in Belfast is that the weather is usually decent here, and the sun shines more frequently.  A few Sunday afternoons, I have gone for long walks and enjoyed the beauty surrounding me. Of course good cups of tea under a warm blanket is also a great pass time.  Starbucks pumpkin lattes are one of my favorite autumn treats and I am looking forward to Thanksgiving with my American mates here.

Seasons are a funny thing.  They fly by so quickly yet they hold a special treasure to embrace and slow you down reminding you to savor the moment before it leaves.  Just like the leaves on the trees, my autumn has been filled with lots of transitions yet I know it's not an ending, but really a beginning.  In order for new life to grow, the things of the past season must die.  But they aren't gone and forgotten, rather just like a tree a ring is formed forever leaving a mark of the things long ago.  Seasons come and seasons go, but the impact lasts forever.

So that's the Craic with me! Anything new with you?  Please send me an update or any prayer requests at Sarah.nilles@gmail.com.  Much love and God bless, Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Nilly, all is well here. Daniel is crawling now and the boys and I wrestle a lot, sometimes a little too rough with Daniel. Mary is great too, Thanksgiving is here. Mom is in town. Your dad is in Detroit!!

    Love you much

    ReplyDelete