Monday, June 3, 2013

A Monday in June


I thought June was going to be an easy month.  Programs are slowing down and students are finishing with exams.  I knew there would be some prep for the summer, but how much of that would affect me?  Today, I realized I was wrong.  As various co-workers have the week off (I always seem to take the wrong weeks off.  These veterans know something that I don’t know about when is the best time to take work off), I found my duties multiplying by the minute.  Now that my weeks to do list is overfilled, I wander how all these “tasks” and “duties” are going to be completed.  Will I even have time to do any “youth work” in the midst of everything? 

After an incredible girls volunteer meeting where we discussed real issues that affect us as girls, I had 40 minutes to plan for our lifeline program on Wednesday night.  I invited up to our project centre a few young people who have been involved with our youth prayer group called The Well to form a think tank for the sacred space night on Wednesday.  Over the past few months, I have gotten to know these guys pretty well. They are so incredible and I am blown away by how much they want to grow in character and faith. 

Again today they blew me away by their maturity and desire to share faith with their peers.  We began discussing what we thought about sacred space nights, what we want, and what we feel like people need.  We agreed that we want to help people engage with the night more while having space to share what’s going on in their lives.  We also discussed how scary life can be and how scary the Colin Area in which they live is becoming as shootings, rapes, and deaths occur more often.  Add on the stresses of family and school and life can seem pretty unmanageable at times.  Yet these young people want to know how to have the strength to persevere though it and something to believe in.  

The poster board was filling up quickly as each person shared their many ideas. I was inspired and encouraged by the ways in which they wanted to share faith with their peers without pushing it upon them.  They wanted to help them cope with situations and have opportunities to pray especially pray out loud.   They wanted to make the Colin Neighborhood in which they live a better place.  We made an agenda and gave out roles.  They also wanted to choose what topic they were going to pray about during the night.  After everything was delegated, one of the lads closed us in prayer.  Before I knew it, they were out the door (they knew I had another meeting. :)

I was so encouraged by today.  I can’t believe how much these guys are changing.  I am so blessed that I get to journey alongside them in a powerful way.  I am honored that I get to be their youth worker and maybe even their big sister.  I love being able to pray for them and hear about their lives.  Often it breaks my heart, but I also see God’s light and love piercing the darkness.  The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.  Love wins- every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment