Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ladies Nights

Babies, men, pregnancy, cooking, cleaning, and wine - some of the topics of discussion. One of the best parts of living with a young couple is that I am invited along with them to their social events. Last night, Judie Dick (this is your shout out :0) hosted a dinner and evening for a few of her close friends, and I was lucky enough to be invited along too. The dinner, dessert, and cheese were absolutely delicious, but within that one evening I learned more about being married, the pregnancy process, and having children than I even would have imagined was possible in one evening. Afterwards, a couple of people asked if I felt awkward, but the truth was I felt blessed to be among a group of women who were so welcoming to me. It didn't really matter if I was able to chime in about "my husband/lack of husband" or not. Rather I was able to share life with women who really loved and cared for each other, something I have really been longing for since moving to Belfast.

I'm in this strange age group/state in life where I can float back and forth between the college crowd and the married/stable "ish" in life crowd. I love being apart of both groups because it offers me a wide range of friendships, conversations, and life experiences. Some people get bitter and long to be back in college or happily married. Honestly, I sometimes wish for that too. At the same time, I'm so blessed by the life I have. I'm grateful for the opportunities to pick up my entire life, buy a one way ticket to Belfast, and settle into a completely new culture and community. As the young people always say "YOLO- You Only Live Once!"

No comments:

Post a Comment